The life of 21st century women has increasingly become hectic through the years. No wonder, a lot of them take on the role of “car care manager” in their families. Basically thought of as a man’s work, research by the Car Care Council implies that women account for over 60 percent of the auto service customers nowadays. In fact, in accordance with American Women Road and Travel (AWRT), women spend more than $300 billion yearly on maintenance, repairs and purchase of pre-owned vehicles.
If you are one of the women in this generation who needs help to stay on the go, below are some of the most useful car care tricks in maintaining your car, your hectic schedule and your family’s safety.
- Fluids – During the oil change service, the fluids must be properly topped off. It is always a must to double-check their work and to constantly check the transmission, power steering, brake, cooling system fluids and windshield washer monthly. Did you know that improper fluid levels may result in premature wear and failure of important parts on the car as well as overheating?
- Oil Change – Don’t forget to consult the owner’s manual for the proper mileage to have the engine oil serviced. Typically, this service is done at 12,000 kilometers but many say that changing between 4,000 to 8,000 kilometers is best for the car. Procrastinating on the oil change can result in oil sludge build up and internal engine wear.
- Battery – Make sure that your battery is checked at every oil change. The good news is that most shops offer a free check. It is also wise to replace the battery as a weak one may cause breakdown.
- Brakes – By having your brakes checked at every service, it may save you a huge amount of time and money in the future. Usually, a free brake inspection is included with an oil change service at most auto repair and service centers.
- Headlights – Don’t neglect to check your headlights to ensure that they are working properly. The mechanics should also make certain that they are aimed properly.
- Belts and Hoses – A broken belt or hose can result in serious engine damage. Hence, ensure that your belts are checked for fraying or cracking and your hoses for leaking or cracking.
These are just some of the most helpful tricks that can help a busy woman like you ensure the safety of your family while performing your other obligations.